Going Green – Cut Back on Water Usage
Going green doesn’t have to be hard but it does take a ‘reordering’ of thought. Here are six easy tips for going green by cutting back on water usage:
1. Turn the water off when you are brushing your teeth and save 25 gallons a month.
2. Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap, then reuse the water for indoor or outdoor plants.
3. Reuse bath water on plants (this is a favorite of my mother-in-law, something about the soapy residue keeping pesky insects away).
4. Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap to get cold water (get a Brita and that way you get cold and filtered at the same time).
5. Limit the amount of bottled water you consume, because it takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water. Recycle your bottles using the filtered water per #4, we do it all the time.
6. If your dishwasher is new, cut back on rinsing. Newer models clean more thoroughly than older ones. I’ve also heard that not rinsing makes the dishwasher work better?!?!?!
Told you it didn’t have to be hard –